Saturday, November 04, 2006

Lovesong


I'm progressing well on my new film called Lovesong. This is my 12th short film overall and my 3rd film using a technique i have been exploring whereby i make lots of small glass panels and then paint them with translucent glass paints.
The 65 panels for Lovesong are approximately 10cm X 7cm. These panels are back-lit and filmed frame by frame on my Bolex RX5 16mm movie camera.
I use a variety of lenses and macro extension tubes to get up really close to the glass panel so i can capture all the beautiful paint swirls.
They look a bit like cosmic images from the Hubble telescope.

I reposition or change the panels every few frames.... I also incorporate double exposures, overlapping fades and tiny lens zooms to alter the pacing and effects. The films' end result when viewed is a whirlwind of colours flashing past or towards the viewer.

No comments: