Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Little worlds in a box


As a child i use to love making stuff.


My dad was an architect and he would sometimes have to make scale models of the buildings he designed.

I would also make models of buildings but i was never
really allowed to use his expensive and professional 'architect model materials' and thus my models were made out of
cardboard and looked quite crappy......anyway....

about 7 years ago i rediscovered my desire to make 'stuff' and embarked on a series of miniature dioramas.




I used scale model figures that are usually confined to model railway sets and i built and boxed my own little worlds.





I liked that i could rearranged and re-contextualise the figures and make them 'behave' in ways that they wouldn't normally be allowed to do if they were stuck on a typical model railway setting...... See photos......especially the close up stuff...






Some of the dioramas are like a 'snap-shot' of action...a frozen moment...before an accident unfolds.






There is often an element of voyeurism and exhibitionism to the
narratives within the dioramas






I have a few more dioramas planned and hope to have exhibition somewhere, sometime in 2007.





No comments: